There are a lot of welders when you glance through the internet, but how do you know which best welder for beginners machine to choose? Look no further; we know what you need to get started- welcome to the world of welding.
You'll possibly search for something easy to use, inexpensive, has excellent welding results, and doesn't have loads of excess features or power. Sometimes the results of your search & excitation of beginning can feel a bit daunting.
But don't worry, we are here to give you the best boost to advance. We have selected our top welders for beginners based on these criteria. The best welder for beginners is metal inert gas (MIG) welders because they are easy to use, and you can operate them with your standard household power source.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Instead of reading the whole article, you can have a look at the below comparison to help differentiate and make a choice on the one to purchase.
LOTOS MIG175 MIG Welder KickingHorse F130 MIG Welder 120V SUNGOLDPOWER ARC MMA 200A Welder Dual 110V 220V ARC Welder Dual IGBT Inverter-Reboot 110V/220V VIVOHOME Portable Flux Core MIG 130 Welder SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder, 120V LOTOS MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder Lotos LTPDC2000D Tig Welder & Stick Welder
LOTOS MIG175 MIG Welder
KickingHorse F130 MIG Welder 120V
SUNGOLDPOWER ARC MMA 200A Welder Dual 110V 220V
ARC Welder Dual IGBT Inverter-Reboot 110V/220V
VIVOHOME Portable Flux Core MIG 130 Welder
SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder
Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder, 120V
LOTOS MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder
Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder
Lotos LTPDC2000D Tig Welder & Stick Welder
10 Best Welder for Beginners
LOTOS MIG175 175AMP Mig Welder with Free Spool Gun, Mask, Aluminum Welding Wires, Solid Wires, Argon Regulator/ Best Welder for Beginners :
LOTOS MIG175 175AMP MIG Welder can be a brilliant choice for beginners in this field. This MIG welder was introduced by LOTOS for any user, especially for beginners- it gives a wide range of uses, including welding metals and Aluminum.
Included with these welding machines is a spool gun, which is very useful as it can weld Aluminum.
This welding machine also welds stainless steel, mild steel, Aluminum, etc. So, it is so versatile, safe, which in turn gives much flexibility and delight to new users.
This welder machine comes with heat protection and overload protection. Overall, this machine is perfect for beginners, which is why it comes buying first welder on our list.
Key Features :
- Aluminum Wire Feeder: LOTOS MIG175 MIG Welder has a durable & high-quality wire feeder that offers much more stable & better welding.
- Spool Gun: This machine has a high-speed MIG spool gun, which helps for aluminum welding. The aluminum wire is 10.4 feet long, has a 4-prong end connection with a diameter of 0.9 millimeters.
- This MIG welder machine can weld 3/16" or less thin aluminum plates.
- Reliable and Durable: LOTOS always provides high-quality products; the MIG175 MIG welder is not an exception. The transformer technology of this machine is proven to be durable and reliable.
- Rated Output: This welder machine has a rated output of 175AMP. The input voltage is 220/240V AC.
- Multi-Use: This machine is one of the most versatile in terms of welding various materials. It can weld stainless steel, mild steel, Aluminum, etc. with no hassle.
- Weld Quality: This machine has a distinguished history of reliability in terms of welding quality.
- Portability: Portability is a great feature of any welding machine. This machine has less weight compared to other welder machines. It comes in handy for every welding occasion.
KickingHorse F130 UL-Certified Flux Core Gasless MIG Welder 120V. 130A High-Efficiency IGBT Inverter Run-off 15A/20A US Home Circuit Breaker :
KickingHorse F130 UL is another excellent welding machine for absolute beginners. If you are worried about the size of a welder machine, this welding machine also comes in handy for users with a variety of features.
This MIG welding machine has an infinite voltage control, which gives the option to adjust to the appropriate voltage. We are saying that it is perfect for beginners because this machine has all the functionality to set up and use quickly.
Included is Over-heating, over-voltage, over-load protection, so safety is guaranteed. Combining all these features makes this welding machine an excellent choice for beginners.
Key Features :
- Infinite Voltage Control: KickingHorse F130 MIG welder machine gives a great option to control the voltage & wire speed as needed. Stepless voltage adjustment system gives total control of the welding arc to the user, increasing the welding experience.
- Mini Size: This welder machine has a miniature size with a weight of 10 pounds.
- Portability: This feature of the F130 MIG makes it convenient to carry or move around.
- Easy Setup & Use: Another great feature of this machine is the ease and quick setup process for use.
- Efficiency: This machine has an advanced IGBT inverter with 80% energy conversion efficiency and reduces energy costs by 25%.
- Safety: Safety features is a must for any MIG welder machine. This Compact MIG welding machine comes with extra over-heating, over-voltage & over-load protection, which gives enough safety while working.
SUNGOLDPOWER ARC MMA 200A Welder Dual 110V 220V IGBT Hot Start Welding Machine DC Inverter Welder 200 AMP LCD Anti-Stick :
SunGoldPower ARC MMA 200A is also an excellent choice since it is a beginner-friendly welding machine and provides ease in welding various materials.
This welder comes with the most advanced control module, which improves the performance and the efficiency of the machine. The safety functionality of this welder is great.
It comes with an anti-sticking feature that protects your machine from overload. This machine comes with Over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, over-current protection, and overload protection.
These protection factors give the best safety. It has a complete package with an efficiency of 85%, which helps to provide an enjoyable welding experience.
Key Features :
- Advanced control: This ARC welder has an advanced IGBT dual 110V & 220V inverter that improves the performance of the machine. This control method will provide an option of choosing a user-preferred input voltage.
- Protection: Protection is an essential factor in using any welding machine. This welder machine has all the protective factors that are needed to work safely, eg., over-voltage protection, under-voltage protection, over-current protection, and over-load protection.
- Easy and simple to operate: This machine is simple to operate, which is an essential factor for beginners.
- Wide range of weld: This machine is useful for performing varieties of welding tasks. It will help in welding all kinds of metals like ferrous metal, medium carbon steel, alloy steel, etc.
- Size & Portability: This machine has a small and compact size. It is lightweight, around 15 pounds, which makes it portable for easy carriage.
ARC Welder Dual IGBT Inverter - Reboot ARC135 Portable Stick Arc Welder 110V/220V High-Frequency Duty Cycle Digital Display Welding for 1/16-1/8in Electrodes Beginner Welding :
There is no correct listing of the best welder for beginners without the Reboot welder machine. The Reboot ARC135 is a top-class welding machine for entry-level welders.
It's a perfect welding machine with all the necessary equipment included to have great welding experience. The advanced IGBT inverter & dual voltage input system makes this welder the best selection for beginners.
The protection system of this welder is also top-notch, which provides reliable work experience. This machine also has excellent versatility in welding and also gives the benefits of portability.
Key Features :
- IGBT Inverter: This welder has an advanced IGBT inverter, which gives ARC stability, built-in hot start, anti-sticking, force adjustability, steeples amperage control, etc.
- Dual Voltage: The Reboot ARC135 is a double voltage welder machine of 110V - 220V. The inverter switches AC power into DC then incorporates a step-down transformer to produce the proper voltage and current.
- Duty Cycle: This is the best ARC welder for beginners machine has a duty cycle of 60%, which is high for smooth welding. And it also increases efficiency when working.
- Portability: This machine is also portable due to its lightweight, about 10.5 pounds, making it very handy.
VIVOHOME Portable Flux Core Wire No Gas MIG 130 Welder Machine 110V Yellow, Best MIG Welder For Beginners:
In the fifth spot have we one of the best MIG welder machines, which is the "VIVOHOME portable flux core wire No gas MIG 130 welder". It is another excellent MIG welder machine for a beginner, with a lot of features.
This welder comes with an adjustable welding speed control, which gives the flexibility of setting a welding speed. This MIG welder machine has a fantastic oxidation resistance system, which helps to prevent oxidation of any welded metal.
VIVOHOME MIG 130 also has protecting features. The over-heat protection system of this machine will prevent the device from hotness.
Another feature of this machine is portability- which is one of the essential features needed in a beginner-friendly welder. All these features make this machine the right choice for beginners.
Key Features :
- Welding speed: This welder machine has four levels of current flow setting and ten welding speed, which helps to adjust the input.
- Welding Range: This welder can weld different types of metals like thin steel, stainless or aluminum sheet metal or thicker steel with flux-core welding.
- No Reaction Welder: This MIG welding machine uses convenient flux-cored wire to self-release inert metal gas while welding, preventing oxidation of the welded part.
- Welding Process: These MIG welder machines are suitable for any welding work, especially mild steel, and stainless steel. It gives a professional touch in welding.
- Portable Design: This MIG welder is very lightweight and compact, which gives insight into how portable it is. It has built-in storage space on the top of the welding machine that is convenient for storing small widgets, nails, and screws, which is beneficial.
SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding AC Welder Gasless Machine Free Mask NO Gas :
Here is another best welder for beginners from SunGoldPower named “SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding AC Welder”. This 110V, 60HZ single phase welder machine has an adjustable power setting with four feed speed control system.
It also comes with a thermal protection system and can do a versatile job. This welder machine is capable of doing any metal welding, especially mild steel, iron, and other metals. The metal body of this welding machine gives extra benefit in protecting the internal equipment from damage.
This welder is not so lightweight, about 43 pounds. But this is considered because of its welding capability. All the features & its design make it an ideal welder machine for starting.
Key Feature :
- Input Voltage: This welding machine takes 110V/60HZ single phase input, which gives a welding current of 80-150AMP and a maximum open voltage of 37V.
- Welding Range: This welder is used for different welding metal, specifically mild steel, iron, and Aluminum. With welding these three metals- Gas Less Welder, 0.030'' to 0.035'' flux-cored (0.8mm-0.9mm) & its Suit for 2lb welding wire spool.
- Control system: The MIG 150A comes with four feed speed control and torch with full on/off safety control switch.
- Protection: This machine is perfect for outdoor welding, and it has thermal protection with four adjustable current flow settings.
- Portability: Like VIVOHOME MIG 130 welder, this machine also weighs 43 pounds. Even still, it can be carried easily anywhere for welding.
Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder, 120V :
It is a machine that is simple to set up and use as well as providing efficient power for welding. An 8' MIG gun, 8' ground clamp is integrated with this welder. It will give the best quality weld.
The design of this welder machine is so lightweight and looks great. This best welder for beginners also comes with metal case & 20A-15A build in the adapter.
The lightweight feature increases handiness. It comes with a 12-month warranty that can be very helpful for beginners.
Key Feature :
- Accessibility: This MIG welding machine has infinite voltage and wire feed speed control that helps to have perfect weld for the entry-level welder.
- Heavy-duty: It produces an output of up to 140 Amp that allows in mild welding steel up to 0.25 inches of the plate.
- Portable Welder: This MIG welder machine is only 19 pounds, which is very light and easy to carry anywhere for Maintenance, Repair, Metal Fabrication, and Hobbyist project.
- Welder Includes: This MIG machine comes with 8' MIG gun, 8' ground clamp, an integrated handle with torch wrap, and a 20A-15A adapter. It comes with a 12-month warranty.
- Rugged: It has a durable metal case, built to withstand intense use. It is also big enough to handle 2- and 10-pound rolls of wire.
LOTOS MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder, Flux Core & Aluminum Gas Shielded Welding with 2T/4T Switch Argon Regulator:
LOTOS MIG140 is an ideal choice for a beginner who wants to test the waters with MIG welding. It is effortless to use this MIG welding machine as well as easy to set up.
The welder machine comes with a useful switch called 2T/4T, which helps to set manual feeding and automatic feeding of the welding wire. This welder uses flux welding core, so you don't need any gas for welding.
This machine has a rated output of 140AMP & the input voltage can either be 110V or 120V; any of them is applicable as it allows flexibility.
This MIG welder machine is very adaptable to welding numerous types of metals, including machine-like stainless steel, mild steel, Aluminum, etc. Like other LOTOS welders, this machine also comes with a tremendous portable feature.
Key Feature :
- Aluminum Wire Feeder: This welder has a durable, high-quality aluminum wire feeder that offers a much more stable and better welding experience.
- Semi-auto Switch: LOTOS MIG175 comes with a semi-auto switch, which is 2T/4T. It helps to set manual feeding and automatic feeding of the welding wire.
- More Precise Welding: The wire feeder speed and welding voltage are adjustable with the help of two (2) digital displayers that help to weld more precisely.
- Rated Output: This MIG has a rated output of 140-amp and a rated input voltage of 110/120v. This MIG welder can easily be used with the existing 110/120v wall outlet.
- Wire Range: This welder machine has 0.025"-. 030" (0. 6-0. 8mm) Solid Steel wire and 0.030"-. 035" (0. 8-0. 9mm) Flux Cored.
Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG Welder :
Hobart is known in the welding industry. They make so many welders both for professionals & beginners. The Hobart Handler 210 MVP MIG welder is a welder that is made specifically for beginners.
This MIG welding machine has a dual voltage plug input of 115V or 230V, giving you a choice. The machine is so efficient- having a duty cycle of 115V and 30% at 90 AMP.
This best welder for beginners can weld anything, like steel, stainless steel, Aluminum, and so on. This wide range will provide a diversified feeling when welding as a newbie.
This MIG welding machine is designed with helpful features. The design is so compact & carriable.
Key Feature :
- Dual Voltage: This MIG welder machine has a 115V/230V MVP plug which makes the unit easy to find a spot to attach.
- Accessible: Hobart Handler 210V MVP MIG welder is smooth to use and set up even at the first weld, which is very helpful to the newbies.
- Duty Cycle: This is a heavy-duty welding machine of 115V & 20% duty cycle at 90AMP and 230V & 30% at 150 AMP. This variation gives some extra options in welding.
- Welding Range: This machine is very versatile. This MIG welding machine can weld stainless steel, steel, Aluminum & so many other metals.
- Portability: Lightweight & portability is an excellent feature of any welding machine. This MIG welding machine is lightweight, and its portable design gives the option to carry the machine anywhere for welding.
Lotos LTPDC2000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Tig Welder and Stick Welder 3 in 1 Combo Welding Machine,½ Inch Clean Cut, Brown :
A great innovative product from LOTOS is the LOTOS LTPDC2000D. It is one of the best welder machines for beginners available on the market now. This machine is very versatile & applicable for multipurpose welding.
The dual voltage & dual-frequency of 110V/220V and 50Hz/60Hz helps users to choose an input. The rated input & output signal of this welding machine helps to have a pleasant and smooth weld.
LTPDC2000D has a great cooling system which helps to cool down the machine during usage.
The machine is user-friendly, as anyone can use and handle properly, which is very beneficial to a novice welder.
Key Feature :
- Non-Touch Plasma Cutter: This welder machine has a 10-50AMP plasma cutter current output. It also has a Non-Hazardous Compressed Air that helps to Cut Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Mild steel, Copper, and Aluminum.
- TIG Welder: A 15-200AMP DC TIG Electric Current Output helps for high-quality TIG welding on Stainless or Steel and Precise Welding of Thinner-gauge Materials.
- Setup & Use: This machine is so time-saving in terms of setup, which takes approximately one minute.
- Cooling System: This welding machine has a PAPST Advanced cooling system that ensures the plasma cutter has a stable & durable high performance.
- Dual Voltage Input: The welder machine has a dual voltage input, which gives the option to adjust with your voltage source automatically.
- Portability: This machine is just about 43.3 pounds, which is not very lightweight but based on its specification, it comes on the list.
Note: Using the BEST MIG WELDER UNDER 500 may not give you the same benefits while using a MIG WELDER UNDER 500. But you need to know how to use the BEST MIG WELDER UNDER 500.
Some welders provide multiprocess welding abilities that allow for varieties of welding styles without needing to buy a new machine. It is perfect for someone looking to practice more than one welding process.
- Time Saver: These machines have fast processes switching, unlike other welders where you have to plug and set up the parts separately.
- Saves Cost: From a single multiprocess machine, you can get the function of a MIG, TIG, and Stick welding for an affordable amount of money.
- Saves Space: The multiprocess welder doesn’t require a lot of set up space and can be a perk for someone without enough space to spare.
The con with this machine is the weight; with the combination of three features in it, it weighs quite a lot.
What is the best welder machine for Beginner, MIG, TIG, or Stick?
- MIG Welder: If you are considering the world of welding, then like us, most will suggest you go with a MIG Welder as it is the most beginner-friendly welder machine.
With constant-feed wire and smooth mix of gases, you’ll be able to make excellent welding even as a first-timer. You can weld any types of metal, including steel, Aluminum, stainless steel, and nickel with a MIG welding machine.
This MIG welding machine allows for the selection from different types of gases that allow you to have a remarkable welding experience with any type of metal you want to weld.
- TIG Welder: TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas, which is another welding method available. This welding method is not so beginner-friendly as it is time-consuming and has a slower welding speed compared to other welding machines. Though it can produce perfect welding, it needs to be handled by an expert.
Another bad sight of this MIG welding machine is it can only weld thinner metal & smaller weld, which is handicaps versatility that is so important for beginners. The head & melted metal can be very harmful to the beginner.
So, we recommend going with the MIG welder machine first, and after developing expertise in welding, then you can move to TIG Welding.
- Stick welding: Stick welding is also known as shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), which is one of the oldest methods of welding. SMAW is a very challenging welding method because it requires a setup of the and exact tip angle, electrical current, which sometimes can be very challenging to experts.
Again, stick welding uses a rod for welding and often needs replacement. This welding method also gives versatility, but the above problem remains. So, it can be very complicated for a beginner.
From here, we think you have got a solid idea about which welding method you should use for the beginning of your wedding journey. But now you may start having the thought of a perfect welding machine to buy.
Don’t worry; we will take you on tour in which you’ll get all the top MIG welder machine for beginners as well as TIG & Stick welding machines as we have promised to enhance your knowledge in the field of welding. So, let's dig into a tour of finding the best one for you.
What should you notice before buying a welder for beginners?
- Simple Controls:
For the best welder for beginners, having a machine that will automatically adjust the electrical output, wire feed and voltage is essential. There are so many welder machines that will handle various weld types, transfers, and voltage outputs. However, we advise you to get a machine that will be straightforward to control the output, wire feed, etc. until you become a master in the welding technique.
- Power Source: As a beginner, we recommend that you go with a standard and straightforward power input welder. You need to have a low voltage welder that would be about 110-120V input.You don't need to have a high-end welder machine for welding. You should remember that you are not an expert; take baby steps first.
- Weld Quality: You need to buy a welder that gives constant & proper welding. It’s essential to have a consistent machine for welding; otherwise, you might get frustrated, disappointed, and finally give up, and this is why a top-rated welding machine is required to get started. A great welder will always inspire you to want to continue welding.
- Duty Cycle: The best welder machine is that which has a duty cycle of about 60%. It means you can use it for straight six minutes welding, and take four minutes to cool and weld again. It will help preserve the welder machine and also time for you to take a short break.
- Weight & Portability: As a beginner, you should consider a lightweight welder capable of being carried almost anywhere to work.
- Overload Protection: Generally, even as a beginner, you should pay close attention to your safety, and that is why you need to go with a welding machine that will protect you from any type of overload, e.g., heat protection, voltage overload protection, current overload protection, and so on. It will help to keep you and your welder safe.
- Easy to Setup & Use: As a beginner, the option of easy setup and use should be given as much attention. So, consider going for an easy to use welding machine.
We have had enough discussion about which types of welder machine you should use and what factors you should consider before buying an entry-level welder machine below is our recommendation.
Our recommendation is based on the above best welder for beginners article. We arrived at this considering the perspective of a beginner. We can say that any one of these welders will be so useful and appropriate for starting the welding journey, whether it is MIG or TIG.
But we recommend going with MIG for the first time, and over time, when you feel confident about your welding, you can go with TIG.
The below multiprocess welder is also on our list of recommended welders which you can check out as it provides an insane amount of benefits for beginners:
- The ESAB MIG/TIG/Stick welder 120V or 230V dual input voltage; they are versatile and have a sturdy construction, easy to use, and can weld up to 9.53mm mild steel.
- The Weldpro 200A multiprocess welder - comes with overload, temperature protection with easy setup, and it has automatic welding switch.
Things to consider when preparing a budget for your welder
- Rushing to make decisions is not appropriate; take some time to determine what it is that you need. The type of welding machine you should think of getting should go with what it is you want to use it for now and possibly other things it might be useful for later on. Note that the Kilowatt (KW) or amperage and power conditions of a machine is also very important to achieve a very efficient and economic outcome. Included in your budget should be the other accessories needed for welding, such as the welding gloves, helmet, gas nozzles, wire brushes, etc., as well as a dust mask.
Frequently Asked Question :
- Can we weld Aluminum without gas?
Answer: No, you can’t weld Aluminum without gas
- Are these machines compatible with a foot pedal?
Answer: The MIG machine doesn’t come with a foot pedal, but you can get one. Only the TIG comes with a foot pedal.
- What gas can I use to weld Aluminum?
Answer: To weld Aluminum, you use 100% Argon, the mix of Argon and Co2 is for steel only. You also need an Aluminum wire with a spool gun. This welder (MIG) does very well with Aluminum, stainless, and carbon steel.
- What is the warranty on this item?
Answer: Normally, most of the products have a one-year warranty, but some of them come with three years warranty.
- Can I use these with a generator?
Answer: Yes, you can. But we recommend going with a highly efficient generator with 10KW.
- Can I teach myself to weld?
Answer: Absolutely, you can teach yourself how to weld. There is a lot of best welder for beginners, as discussed above that you can pick up, practice, and become a pro.
- Can I plug a welder into a regular wall outlet?
Answer: Yes, you can, many welders do not require more than 120V, which is fine on most home outlets.
Being a beginner at most things might suck and become overwhelming because it comes with a lot of challenges and responsibilities. The web is filled with a lot of materials and products, so it becomes difficult to make a rational decision, and sincerely, we understand because we were once a beginner in so many things.
Best TIG Welder For Beginners, as discussed above, is good and versatile but difficult to handle, which makes it not-so beginner-friendly as compared to the user-friendly MIG with its disadvantage of not applying to all material types.
A multiprocess welder is also an excellent option for a beginner as it allows much more flexibility.
The main purpose of you getting into welding is also important to put into consideration, whether short or long term- which can also help you select the most applicable option to buy.