Welding is a job that has a lot of challenges. And if you are a professional welder, then you might know that you can't do welding all the time by keeping yourself in only one place. You might go to different areas for different projects.
Sometimes it happens that you are far away from the nearest power sources. So it is hard to weld there. And at that time, it is essential to have something that will generate enough power to run the welding machine.
Here the welding generator comes to play a vital role. These are very incredible machines that are designed for any welding like Stick, MIG & TIG with having heady duty cycle.
Having the best welder generator will deliver a lot of benefits in distance welding. But finding one is not easy & there is so much confusion in it. Going through this article, you may know about all the things you need. We'll directly answer some of the most frequently asked questions below.
Table of Contents
- 6 Best Welding Generator Reviews
Instead of reading the whole article, you can just have a look at the following comparison chart. Here you will differentiate and make your own choice to buy any of them.
6 Best Welding Generator Reviews
From thousands of welder generators, we've listed the top & leading generators that are leading the industry right now. So that your buying will be easier.
Hobart, 500563, Engine Driven Generator/Welder
This best welder generator can weld up to 145 amps & it has a duty cycle of 30% at 130 amps.
The generator has a continuous Auxiliary power of 4000W & peak Auxiliary power of 4750W for ensuring a great power source for your welding.
If you need flux core welding, this machine is capable of connecting a light MIG welder to it, but this will happen only with ten horsepower.
- Engine Driven: This welder machine runs through an engine for providing enough power for welding or generating energy for your work.
- Rated Output: The welder has a single-phase rated output of CC/AC 130A at 25V or CC/DC 130A at 25V, where the Amperage range is 40 to 145.
- Power: Hobart champion 145 provides a continuous auxiliary power of 4000W & the extra peak power of 4750W.
- Usability: This machine is perfect for stick welding, but it is capable of connecting a light MIG welder for flux core welding.
TOMAHAWK 15 HP Engine Driven Portable 2,000 Watt Generator
Another best welder generator is "TOMAHAWK 15 HP Engine Driven Portable 2,000 Watt Generator." This machine is excellent for use in farms, construction site, or any job site that requires electrical power or welding. And is perfect for Stick welding, TIG welding, or MMA welding.
This Permanent Magnetized Generator features with a high horsepower of 15 & it generates 2000 watts of DC output.
The portability feature of this machine ensures easy transport to your workplace. And the digital meter allows you to have better control over monitoring amperage for optimal performance.
- Engine Driven: This machine runs by a 15 HP engine which provides stable sine wave for active & steadiest welding.
- Rated Output: The powerful engine of this generator produces a large amount of DC output of 2000 watts with a rated DC output of up to 210 amps.
- Duty Cycle & constant power: Ensuring a DC output and a rated duty cycle of 60% "Tomahawk" provide continuous power for your welding. And this is very important for perfect welding.
- Digital Meter: The digital meter of this machine helps to adjust the precise output for optimal performance
- Portability: Portability is a great feature & this feature ensures that you can transport your generator machine anywhere you want for power.
- Usage: This best portable generator use for different types of welding like MMA, Stick, or TIG.
HOBART Champion Elite Welder Generator
"HOBART Champion Elite Welder Generator" is a great generator that comes for ensuring a great power source. It is easy to use & the setup is hassle-free. With a 100% duty cycle, this welding generator provides 11000 watts by its 23 HP engine.
For perfect welding, this machine produces a rated DC output of up to 40-225 amps. This Kohler engine-driven generator machine makes it so easy to transport, and this two-in-one best portable generator has a variety of usage.
It can perform a high for light industrial, MRO, farm & hobby applications.
- Engine: This best welding generator comes with a two-cylinder, 4-cycle Kohler engine. It produces 23 HP for ensuring great power sources & the engine displacement is 725cc.
- Power: With a high powered engine, this generator delivers up to 11000 watts of AC power within which 9500 is continuous watts that ensure the perfect output for your work.
- Duty Cycle & Rated Output: With a 100% duty cycle, this welding generator ensures a rated DC output of up to 40-225 amps and 120V - 240V voltage output.
- Portability: This machine is not very lightweight, but it is easy to transport. This option ensures to take the generator to your working area for getting enough power to work.
- Versatility: The welder generator is very versatile & you can use it for light industrial, MRO, farm, and hobby applications.
Lincoln Electric Ranger 225
It comes with a 23 HP gas engine that provides an output of 10,500 watts for ensuring enough power.
With a 100% duty cycle, this generator ensures an output of 210 Amps with 12V. It generates both AC & DC outputs.
The AC used for industrial operations & the DC ensures for perfect welding of stick electrode. The versatility of this best welder generator is excellent & it is capable of doing MIG, Flux-core & TIG welding too.
- Engine: Ranger 225 generator runs by a 23 HP Kohler 2-cylinder, a 4-cycle gas engine with an engine displacement of 674cc, for providing a great outcome.
- Power: Has a powerful engine. So this welding generator ensures an excellent output of 10,500 watts & the rated output is 9,000 watts.
- Duty Cycle: This machine has a different duty cycle on different amperage, for 225A DC CC/25V. It has a 40% duty cycle, for 210A DC CC/25V & 200A DC CV/20V it has 100% duty cycle.
- Output: The generator delivers both AC & DC output. AC for other industrial operations & the DC for welding purpose. The DC output is 20-225 Amps.
- Versatility: This welding generator is so versatile. & it can be used for MIG, flux-core & TIG welding.
Engine Driven Welder, Bulldog 5500
This small size welder generator runs with an 8.9 horsepower Kohler engine. With this power, it produces 4000 watts AC power for delivering proper welding & the power can go up to 5500 watts.
For ensuring excellent welding or ensuring power, it has an amperage range of 70-140, and the rated output is 125A AC/20V and 100A AC/25V.
The duty cycle of this generator is less about 30% at 125A. Though it has lower power, it has great versatility. & can be used for welding steel, stainless steel, cast iron & so on.
- Engine: This engine-driven best welding generator runs with an 8.9 horsepower Kohler engine to generate power.
- Power: This generator delivers 4000 watts continuous AC power and the peak power is 5500 Watts.
- Rated Output: This generator machine has a welding amperage of 70 to 140 DC output. And it has a rated output of 125A AC/20V and 100A AC/25V.
- Duty Cycle: It has a less duty cycle comparing to other machines. The duty cycle is only 30% at 125 amps.
- Versatility: Though it's a low power generator compared to other generators of our list, it ensures a great versatility. It used for welding steel, stainless steel, cast iron, or hard facing projects.
Engine Driven Welder, Bobcat 250
Miller always makes high-quality welding machines. One of their best welding generators is "Engine Driven Welder, Bobcat 250." It's a cheap & reasonable best welder generator, but it offers a lot in this price range.
With a Kohler engine, this generator produces about 23.5 horsepower. So it is used for generating a massive power of 9500 watts continuous & 11000 watts of peak power. It creates an enormous power. This best welding generator has an amperage range of 40 to 250 DC.
Another great feature of this generator is its 100% duty cycle at 250 amps, which ensures excellent work output. It is a heavy-duty machine to withstand years of use, even with a high running rate.
- Engine: This generator runs with a 23.5 horsepower Kohler engine that ensures to generate enough power for welding & other purposes.
- Power: This generator delivers continuous power of 9500 watts AC & the peak power is 11,000 watts. This power is used for welding & producing electric energy for other tasks.
- Rated output: This machine ensures a rated output at different duty cycles. It delivers CC/AC 250A 25V rated output at 60% duty cycle and CC/DC 250A 25V at 100% duty cycle.
- Versatility: It is a versatile welding generator. The generator can be used for TIG welding, MIG welding & getting power for other tasks.
Note: Besides, you can use the Best welding clamps to keep holding two metal together. Welding Clamps are another Necessary option for welding. Knowing about Best Welding Clamps, you can read this article.
What is a welder generator?
The best welder generator is such a type of machine that is used for distance welding or in construction sites. And generates power without reliance on mains electricity. Sometimes they are called to be the best portable welding generator as it is easy to transport to the welding area.
These generators are used as a welding machine or as a generator for backing up power supply to the welder when it is away from the power source. The best welder generator comes with an excellent efficiency &heavy-duty cycle for ensuring the best outcome. So it can generate enough power that can satisfy your work or welding.
The generator is a two in one machine you can use it separately as a welding machine or a generator. And when it is come to use, it is straightforward to use. You just need to fill up the tank of the generator & it'll start working & provide the power you need.
How does it help the welder?
A welder generator can be used as a stand-alone generator, which is the most significant advantage of a generator. As it is a two-in-one device, this can save your space & money. You can use it as a generator that ensures enough power for work. Or A welder can use it as a welding machine that helps to weld without taking energy from the primary power sources.
Another use case is that it can be used in a remote area for welding. So you need not worry about the power source in the remote area when you get a project there. Apart from that, the best portable generator ensures heavy-duty cycle & consistent power output that is very necessary for perfect welding.
What to See Before Buying?
Generators mostly used on farms & on-site where electricity is far away. Welding generators are such type generators that used for welding in remote areas. So you need to buy the best welding generator so that you might not fall into the problem when there is no other option to get electricity.
- AC / DC Output: Most of the generator generates AC power, and this power is used to run to small electric tools. But this can't run welding machines.
Some welding generators convert this AC power into DC power with its built-in converter. The DC amperage differs from AC amperage depending on the design of the machine. Before buying, you need to make sure that your best welding generator produces much amperage, both AC & DC, for running the devices.
- Welding capability: Most of the welding generators are made for stick welding since it is the most common type of welding. Some of the top welding generators have the capability to weld different types like MIG and TIG. Before buying, you need to make sure that which type of welding machine you want, or you want a multi-capable weld generator.
- Power Output: Before buying a welding machine, you must see what is the power output of that machine. It must have a rated power output & it must have at least 5000 watts of power for ensuring you the best service.
Again, you must see the horsepower it has. Depending on your need to pick one that is suitable for your work. Remember less power for low range work & high power for high range work.
- Duty Cycle: Duty Cycle is significant. It means that in a 10 minutes session, how much time the machine will work & how much time it needs to be stable. A higher duty cycle is efficient in working as it can work for the whole time in 10 minutes. It is best to have a 100% duty cycle from your best welding generator.
- Portability: Portability is the most crucial feature of the best welder generator, as you might carry it to your working area. The best portable generator will provide extra benefits to your work since you can take it easy.
Before buying, you must make sure that your machine is portable; otherwise, it may be hard to carry it to your workplace.
- Fuel: Most of the generator run with Diesel, Gasoline, Petrol. The welder generator must be fuel-efficient & the fuel tank must be large so that you can get relief from frequently refilling the tank while you are working on far away from the locality.
This feature will ensure that you can weld enough by a single refilling of the tank. Before buying, consider which type of fuel you want & the large size of the fuel tank.
- Durability: Durability is so essential for the best welder generator. The price of the welding generator is high. So you won't like to buy it frequently; this is why your generator machine must be durable so that you can use it for a long time. Before buying, make sure that the built-in materials are metal & the machine is durable enough to run for years.
- Noise Reduction: Welding generators make a loud noise & sometimes the limit of sound breaks out that it can hamper on your work. So, you need to choose a machine that makes less noise & produces enough power for your work.
Frequently Asked Question!
- What is the price of a welder generator?
Answer: It depends on the brand, power output, size of the fuel tank, welding capacity, warranty. Generally, the more significant & versatile generator costs a higher price & small generator cost low.
- Is welder or welding generator machine reliable?
Answer: Yes, when you're far away from the locality & you need the power, a generator can help you a lot by ensuring power.
- Is the welder generator fuel efficient?
The majority of the welder generators are engine driven. The welder requires fuel to run. Diesel, gasoline, and propane needed for the generator. But Gasoline is used for small size units. A gas engine needs less fuel. The price of gasoline is low.
The diesel-powered engine can run a long time without any problem. Propane would be luxurious, although propane has several advantages. You keep cleaning your working place by using propane. There is no emission by using propane.
- Is it portable?
Often we do welding tasks in a different area. So we need a portable generator. Portability is not just about the effortlessness of lifting off the around. The lightest is made using the tube design. But there is some design that comes with wheels. So you can straightforwardly roll the generator on your desirable area.
- Which welding generator would be right for me?
Answer: It depends on which type of welding you are using & how much power you need. You can read the buying guide so that you can get the idea which one will be suitable for you.
I hope that the review will help you a lot. The machines are listed here are the best welding generators in the industry right now. They have enough power output & all the features. These ensure high performance & outcome.
Think that by reading this article & buying guide, you are now prepared to buy the best welder generator for your work.