Welding is a job that has a lot of challenges. If you are a professional welder, then you might know that you can't weld all the time by keeping yourself in only one place. You will have to go to different areas for different projects.
Sometimes it happens that you are far away from the nearest power sources. So it is hard to weld there. And at that time, it is essential to have something that will generate enough power to run the welding machine.
Here the welding generator comes to play a vital role. These are very incredible machines that are designed for any welding like Stick, MIG & TIG with having a heavy-duty cycle.
Having the best welder generator will deliver a lot of benefits in distance welding. But finding one is not easy & there is so much confusion on it. Going through this article, you may know about all the things you need. We'll directly answer some of the most frequently asked questions below.
Table of Contents
- 6 Best Welding Generator Reviews
- More Welding Equipment Reviews
Instead of reading the whole article, you can have a look at the following comparison chart. Here we differentiate and make your choice to buy any of the generators.
6 Best Welding Generator Reviews
From thousands of best engine-driven welder generators, we've listed the top & leading generators in the industry right now to make your shopping easier.
Hobart, 500563, Engine Driven Generator/Welder
Hobart Champion 145 is an excellent & efficient, lightweight welder machine. This machine ensures high wattage for your welding.
This best welder generator can weld up to 145 amps & it has a duty cycle of 30% at 130 amps.
The generator has a continuous Auxiliary power of 4000W & peak Auxiliary power of 4750W for ensuring a great power source for your welding.
If you need flux core welding, this machine is capable of connecting a light MIG welder to it, but can only work effectively with ten horsepower.
- Engine Driven: This machine runs through an engine for providing enough power for welding or generating energy for your work.
- Rated Output: The welder has a single-phase rated output of CC/AC 130A at 25V or CC/DC 130A at 25V, where the Amperage range is 40 to 145.
- Power: Hobart champion 145 provides a continuous auxiliary power of 4000W & an extra peak power of 4750W.
- Usability: This machine is perfect for stick welding, but it is capable of connecting a light MIG welder for flux core welding.
TOMAHAWK 15 HP Engine Driven Portable 2,000 Watt Generator
Another best welder generator is "TOMAHAWK 15 HP Engine Driven Portable 2,000 Watt Generator." This machine is excellent for use in farms, construction site, or any job site that requires electrical power or welding. It is perfect for Stick welding, TIG welding, or MMA welding.
This Permanent Magnetized Generator features with a high horsepower of 15 & it generates 2000 watts of DC output.
The portability feature of this machine ensures easy transport to your workplace. And the digital meter allows you to have better control over monitoring amperage for optimal performance.
- Engine Driven: This machine runs by a 15 HP engine which provides stable sine wave for active & steadiest welding.
- Rated Output: The powerful engine of this generator produces a large amount of DC output of 2000 watts with a rated DC output of up to 210 amps.
- Duty Cycle & constant power: Ensuring a DC output and a rated duty cycle of 60%, "Tomahawk" provides continuous power for your welding. And this is very important for perfect welding.
- Digital Meter: The digital meter of this machine helps to adjust the precise output for optimal performance
- Portability: Portability is a great feature & this feature ensures that you can transport your generator machine anywhere you want for power.
- Usage: This best portable generator is used for different types of welding like MMA, Stick, or TIG.
HOBART Champion Elite Welder Generator
"HOBART Champion Elite Welder Generator" is a great generator that ensures a great power source. It is easy to use & the setup is hassle-free. With a 100% duty cycle, this welding generator provides 11000 watts by its 23 HP engine.
For perfect welding, this machine produces a rated DC output of 40-225 amps. The Kohler engine-driven generator machine is easy to transport, and this two-in-one best portable welder generator has a variety of usage.
It can perform highly for light industrial, MRO, farm & hobby applications.
- Engine: This best welding generator comes with a two-cylinder, 4-cycle Kohler engine. It produces 23 HP for ensuring a high and stable power source & the engine displacement is 725cc.
- Power: With a high powered engine, this generator delivers up to 11000 watts of AC power within which 9500 is continuous watts that ensure the perfect output for your work.
- Duty Cycle & Rated Output: With a 100% duty cycle, this welding generator ensures a rated DC output of 40-225 amps and 120V - 240V voltage output.
- Portability: This machine is not very lightweight, but it is easy to transport. This option ensures that you can take the generator to your working area for enough power to work.
- Versatility: The welder generator is very versatile & you can use it for light industrial, MRO, farm, and hobby applications.
Lincoln Electric Ranger 225
Lincoln is a famous brand for producing Electric & welding equipment. Many of their best welding generators, the "Lincoln Electric Ranger 225," is an excellent one.
It comes with a 23 HP gas engine that provides an output of 10,500 watts for ensuring enough power.
With a 100% duty cycle, this generator ensures an output of 210 Amps with 12V. It generates both AC & DC outputs.
The AC is used for industrial operations while DC ensures perfect welding of Stick electrode. The versatility of this best small welder generator is outstanding & it is capable of doing MIG, Flux-core & TIG welding too.
- Engine: Ranger 225 generator runs by a 23 HP Kohler 2-cylinder, a 4-cycle gas engine with an engine displacement of 674cc, for providing a great outcome.
- Power: Has a powerful engine. So this welding generator ensures an excellent output of 10,500 watts & a rated output of 9,000 watts.
- Duty Cycle: This machine has a different duty cycle on different amperage, for 225A DC CC/25V, it has a 40% duty cycle, for 210A DC CC/25V & 200A DC CV/20V, it has 100% duty cycle.
- Output: The generator delivers both AC & DC output. AC for industrial operations & the DC for welding purpose. The DC output is 20-225 Amps.
- Versatility: This welding generator is so versatile. & it can be used for MIG, flux-core & TIG welding.
Engine Driven Welder, Bulldog 5500
On the position before the last on our list, we have another generator that comes from Lincoln Electric, the "Engine Driven Welder, Bulldog 5500."
This small size welder generator runs with an 8.9 horsepower Kohler engine. With this power, it produces 4000 watts AC power for delivering proper welding & the power can go up to 5500 watts.
For ensuring excellent welding or power, it has an amperage range of 70-140, and the rated output is 125A AC/20V and 100A AC/25V.
The duty cycle of this generator is less, about 30% at 125A. Though it has lower power, it has great versatility & can be used for welding steel, stainless steel, cast iron & so on.
- Engine: This engine-driven best welding generator runs with an 8.9 horsepower Kohler engine to generate power.
- Power: This generator delivers 4000 watts continuous AC power and the peak power is 5500 Watts.
- Rated Output: This generator machine has a welding amperage of 70 to 140 DC output. And it has a rated output of 125A AC/20V and 100A AC/25V.
- Duty Cycle: It has less duty cycle compared to other machines. The duty cycle is only 30% at 125 amps.
- Versatility: Though it's a low power generator compared to other generators on our list, it ensures a great versatility. It is used for welding steel, stainless steel, cast iron, or hard facing projects.
Engine Driven Welder, Bobcat 250
The last generator on our list is from Miller; they are known for producing high-quality welding machines. One of their best welding generators is "Engine Driven Welder, Bobcat 250." They are cheap & reasonable best welder generators, but Miller offers a lot in the price range.
With a Kohler engine, this generator produces about 23.5 horsepower. So it is used for generating a massive power of 9500 watts continuously & 11000 watts of peak power. It creates an enormous power. This best welding generator has an amperage range of 40 to 250 DC.
Another great feature of this generator is its 100% duty cycle at 250 amps, which ensures excellent work output. It is a heavy-duty machine to withstand years of use, even with a high running rate.
- Engine: This generator runs with a 23.5 horsepower Kohler engine that ensures to generate enough power for welding & other purposes.
- Power: This generator delivers continuous power of 9500 watts AC & the peak power is 11,000 watts. This power is used for welding & producing electric energy for other tasks.
- Rated output: This machine ensures a rated output at different duty cycles. It delivers CC/AC 250A 25V rated output at 60% duty cycle and CC/DC 250A 25V at 100% duty cycle.
- Versatility: It is a versatile welding generator. The generator can be used for TIG welding, MIG welding & getting power for other tasks.
Note: Besides, you can use the Best welding clamps to keep holding two metal together. Welding Clamps are another Necessary option for welding. To know more about Best Welding Clamps, you can read this article.
What is a welder generator?
The best welder generator is a type of machine that is used for distance welding or in construction sites and generates power without reliance on main electricity. Sometimes they are called to be the best portable welding generator as it is easy to transport to the welding area.
These generators can be used as welders, and with welding machines for back up power supply when away from a power source. The best welder generator comes with an excellent efficiency &heavy-duty cycle for ensuring the best outcome. So it can generate enough power that can satisfy your work or welding.
The generator is a two in one machine you can use it separately as a welding machine or a generator. And when its time for use, it is straightforward. What you need to do is fill up the tank of the generator & it'll start working to provide the power you need.
How does it help the welder?
A welder generator can be used as a stand-alone generator, which is the most significant advantage of a generator. As it is a two-in-one device, this can save your space & money. You can use it as a generator that ensures enough power for work, or A welder can use it as a welding machine that helps to weld without taking energy from the primary power sources.
Another use case is that it can be used in a remote area for welding. So you need not worry about the power source in the remote area when you get a project there. Apart from that, the best portable generator ensures heavy-duty cycle & consistent power output that is very necessary for perfect welding.
What to See Before Buying?
Generators are mostly used on farms & on-site where electricity unavailable. Welding generators are such type of generators that are used for welding in remote areas. So you need to buy the best welding generator so that when you don't have the option of a power supply, it comes in handy for you.
Before buying a generator, you should focus on some factors so that you get the best out of any generator you buy and to avoid the problem of instability when you don't have a nearby power source.
- AC / DC Output: Most of the generator generates AC power, and this power is used to run small electric tools. But this can't run welding machines.
Some welding generators convert this AC power into DC power with its built-in converter. The DC amperage differs from AC amperage depending on the design of the machine. Before buying, you need to make sure that your best welding generator produces much amperage, both AC & DC, for running the devices.
- Welding capability: Most of the welding generators are made for stick welding since it is the most common type of welding. Some of the top welding generators have the capability to weld different types like MIG and TIG. Before buying, you need to make sure that which type of welding machine you want, or if you want a multi-capable weld generator.
- Power Output: Before buying a welding machine, you must see what the power output of that machine is. It must have a rated power output & it must have at least 5000 watts of power for ensuring you the best service.
Again, it would be best if you put into consideration the horsepower. Depending on your need to pick one that is suitable for your work. Remember less power for low range work & high power for high range work.
- Duty Cycle: Duty Cycle is significant. It means that in a 10 minutes session, how much time the machine will work & how much time it needs to be stable. A higher duty cycle is efficient in working as it can work for the whole time in 10 minutes. It is best to have a 100% duty cycle from your best welding generator.
- Portability: Portability is the most crucial feature of the best propane welder generator, as you might have to carry it to your working area. The best portable generator for welding will provide extra benefits to your work since you can move it easily.
Before buying, you must make sure that your machine is portable; otherwise, it may be hard to carry it to your workplace.
- Fuel: Most of the generator run with Diesel, Gasoline, Petrol. The welder generator must be fuel-efficient & the fuel tank must be large enough so that you can be relieved from frequently refilling the tank while working far away from the locality.
This feature will ensure that you can weld enough by a single refilling of the tank. Before buying, consider which type of fuel you want & the size of the fuel tank.
- Durability: Durability is so essential for the best welder generator. The price of the welding generator is high. So you won't like to buy it frequently; this is why your generator machine must be durable so that you can use it for a long time. Before buying, make sure that the built-in materials are metal & the machine is durable enough to run for years.
- Noise Reduction: Welding generators make a loud noise & sometimes the limit of sound breaks out that it can hamper on your work. So, it would help if you chose a machine that makes less noise & produces enough power for your work.
- Accessories: Accessories are necessary when welding since they make your work easier. Some of the ones you need are: extension cables, welding gun, portable wire feeder, and connector kit for MIG wire feed welding
Accessories needed for stick welding are: electrode hoses and clamps which helps to increase your working radius
For TIG, you might need accessories such as a TIG torch and tungsten electrodes, collets and nozzles.
Entrusted Multi purpose Components You Need
- Hoses: Welding hoses of around fifty (50) or longer feet is recommended to carry along, especially when you have a welder machine that is difficult to move around due to its weight. It can save you a lot of stress and work whenever you are far from the locality.
- Welding Clamps: This clamps can come in handy. You wouldn't want your work to become unsmooth or destroyed because you couldn't get materials to stay in one position. It enables you to keep metals fixed at certain angles and positions. They are highly reliable.
- Fuel Can: Having a fuel Can can never be overstated when it comes to remote welding. They enable you to have access to extra supply even when you think you have a filled up generator. You never know what will happen, so it's better to go prepared.
- Running Gear: Wheels or dolly-type fittings is compulsory to have around. They are there to provide support for you if you have a large or heavy generator. Most comes with already fitted rollers; if not, they have a section or space you can attach a roller.
- A welding cloth or cover for your unit: Your machine safety should not be taken lightly, only if you have enough money to buy another one regularly. The protective cover helps to prevent the accumulation of dust and corrosion of parts. It can help to increase the lifespan of your machine.
- Extension Cords: Heavy-duty extension cords can come in handy while you work to provide a source of power for your other tools such as the drills, plasma cutters, grinders etc.
Frequently Asked Question!
- What is the price of a welder generator?
Answer: It depends on the brand, power output, size of the fuel tank, welding capacity, warranty. Generally, the more significant & versatile generator costs a higher price & small generator cost low.
- Is welder or welding generator machine reliable?
Answer: Yes, when you're far away from the locality & you need power, a generator can help you a lot by ensuring power.
- Is the welder generator fuel efficient?
Answer: The majority of the welder generators are engine driven. The welder requires fuel to run, Diesel, Gasoline, and propane are needed for the generator. But Gasoline is used for small size units. A gas engine needs less fuel. The price of Gasoline is low.
The diesel-powered engine can run a long time without any problem. Propane would be luxurious, although propane has several advantages. You keep cleaning your working place by using propane. There is no emission by using propane.
- Is it portable?
Answer: Often we do welding tasks in a different area. So we need a portable generator. Portability is not just about the effortlessness of lifting off the ground. The lightest is made using the tube design. But some design comes with wheels. So you can straightforwardly roll the generator to your desired area.
- Which welding generator would be right for me?
Answer: It depends on which type of welder you are using & how much power you need. You can read the buying guide so that you can get the idea of which one will be suitable for you.
- Can a welder generator power a house?
Answer: Since welder generators provide an average power of 4,500 to 12,000 watts, it may be enough to run an average-sized house
- Can you run a TIG welder off a generator?
Answer: As long as the generator has enough amps, it is enough to run a TIG welder.
- Will an 8000-watt generator run a welder?
Answer: It can weld a small rod that requires less than 30 amps.
We hope that the reviews will help you a lot. The machines listed here are the best welding generators in the industry right now, you can't go wrong with any of them. They have enough power output & all the features. These ensure high performance & outcome.
We now think that by reading this article & buying guide, you are prepared to buy the best welder generator for your work.